The original armory was built in 1938 and owned by the National Guard. In 1993 the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and ownership was transferred to the City of Columbia. Prost Builders restored the building and renovated it into a downtown recreation center with a basketball court, work-out rooms, weight room, locker rooms, new restrooms and ADA upgrades. The Columbia Historic Preservation Committee was consulted to ensure the appearance of the building was historically accurate. The city was very pleased with the citizens’ response to this great recreational asset.